Rubin Museum of Art
150 West 17th Street
New York City, NY 10011
About the Museum
The Rubin Museum of Art located in the Chelsea, New York City area, explores and celebrates the diversity and uniqueness of Himalayan art, ideas and culture across history and into the present.
Through Himalayan art, cultures, and ideas, the Rubin serves as a guidepost to examine big questions of what it means to be human today with the intent of creating a more compassionate, resilient world.
With its globally renowned collection, the Rubin fosters understanding and appreciation of this extraordinary region by connecting its art and ideas to contemporary issues that are relevant in our visitors’ lives today.
Largely inspired by the philosophical traditions of Buddhism and Hinduism, the Rubin offers innovative exhibitions and programs that examine provocative ideas across the arts and sciences. In doing so, the Museum serves as a space for reflection and personal transformation, opening windows to inner worlds so visitors can better navigate outer ones.
Within its five floors of galleries are several long-term rotating installations drawn from the permanent collection, including Gateway to Himalayan Art, Masterworks and our recently installed interactive Mandala Lab among others.
About the Position
The Rubin is seeking a part-time Cafe Associate. This is a non-exempt position (not to exceed 30 hours per week) and the work schedule is as follows: Thursday – Sunday 10:30am – 5:30pm. This position requires some flexibility to work holidays as needed.
The incumbent will report to the Senior Manager of Special Events.
- Performs daily pre-shift tasks including: brewing drip coffee, replenishing grab-and-go items, maintaining cleanliness of café tables etc.,
- Delivers excellent customer service this includes responding to inquiries.
- Works closely with Special Events team.
- Performs all credit card transactions using approved tender handling procedures.
- Fulfills closing duties with the Point of Sale System including performing reconciliation tasks. This is a 100% cashless business.
- Performs post shift cleaning tasks as needed.
- Ability to work flexible hours beyond the work schedule as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- $17.00 per hour.
- High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
- Coffee Bar experience a plus but not required.
- Must like customer service including engaging with guests and others in a very courteous, professional and respectful manner at all times.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Goggle Suite a plus.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Must be detail-oriented and be able to work with minimum supervision.
- Must be a team player with a “can do,” pitch-in attitude.
COVID-19 Vaccination requirement:
- Newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (i.e. have received both doses of a 2-dose vaccine OR a single dose of a one-dose vaccine) and must provide proof once a job offer has been made.
- The above definition of what it means currently to be fully vaccinated is based on the definition from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Please provide the following as part of your application:
- Complete resume.
- A cover letter addressing both your interest in the Rubin Museum and your qualifications for this position.
- Please indicate Cafe Associate, Part-time in the subject line of email and in body of cover letter.
- Application in electronic format preferred and accepted at email@example.com.
- Send application by mail to: The Rubin Museum of Art, 150 West 17th Street, New York, NY 10011. Attention: Head of Human Resources Dept.
The Rubin Museum of Art is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.